My photo
23 years old. Pursuing Public Policy and Global Affairs in School Of Social Sciences at Nanyang Technological University. Thank you for the taking the time to visit and read some of my posts. I hope that you will be able to take away some insights and perspectives on various topics discussed within my space at the end of the day. I will continue to pen down my thoughts as it has always been my pleasure to do so. Any feedback are warmly welcome and can be reached me through the contact form.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

8427 Sheets Of Paper




There lies a universal fact which we all know about the universe we live in. That is, time waits for no one. Time continues to move on regardless of the circumstances. Its significance is based on the sole fact that it accompanies us throughout our destined lifespan. Time and we are inseparable entities - time will move for as long as our existence lingers around in the world. Bearing this simple fact in mind, I shall write this post with the hope that you will find that your time spent is worth after reading it.

Who would have known what was your purpose in life when we were just born into this world? Yet, time continues to move on without sparing a thought to our circumstances. Time, viewed in this manner, is like a robot without emotions. That's why we all need someone to guide us in our lives and oftentimes, our parents will take up this crucial role. Had my parents left me to explore this universe on my own, I would have found it incomprehensible most of the time. Then, we also needed schools to further educate us on what is right and wrong in society on top of what our loved ones have already often advised us. While in schools, we made friends and even developed some feelings, also known as puppy love, towards some people. That was perfectly fine. The point is that we discover ourselves in different ways and varying amounts at each phase of our lives. Some just discover much more than the rest. Just remember that time still moves on unsympathetically.

Now, if I may have you to imagine that every day of your life was penned down onto a piece of paper, what would you have written? I know it seems really unrealistic as we consider these following considerations: what do you write when you have not even learned how to write? do you have the mental capacity and maturity to write even after learning how to write? All of these takes time to develop while keeping in mind that some learn much faster than others. Thus, the most intuitive answer which we all can relate is that these papers are left blank during those phases of our lives. Finally, the most practical consideration of all: how feasible is this idea? So here comes my point:

I am not certainly asking you to take a thousand pieces of papers to pen down your life journey. What I am trying to do is to have you all to conceive that life is just like a stack of papers piling on top of one after another. In short, the pile of papers represents your current wealth of experience, knowledge, and memories. If you were to factor time in, each piece of paper will then have a date and time. Many of us will probably begin life with a foundation made of clean sheets of paper and some simple moments. Then, as we grow older with time, the middle and higher stacks become more written and filled with greater complexities of life. One day, we will use this stack of piled papers to tell a meaningful and purposeful story. However, has it come across to you what happens when a portion of the stack is conscientiously removed? Papers are different from dominoes. The former will either fall silently back to the base or outside of the base while the latter will crumble and certainly fall outside of the base. Papers, although, run a 50-50 possibility of falling outside the base, the question to ask is, is the risk of removing it just for the sake of not getting reminded of unhappiness and setbacks worth taking? Once it runs outside of the base, you will not find yourself anymore.

Today, I have 8427 sheets of paper with me. I have decided not to remove any sheets of paper. As I want to be able to tell my children or convince everyone using the 8426 sheets of paper, and not just a part of it, that this is the kind of person that I hope to be or have become as a result. I want to write the remaining sheets of papers with purposeful events and doing more great things for the society. What about you?

The memories will forever be etched in my heart.
Thank you for taking the time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment