My photo
23 years old. Pursuing Public Policy and Global Affairs in School Of Social Sciences at Nanyang Technological University. Thank you for the taking the time to visit and read some of my posts. I hope that you will be able to take away some insights and perspectives on various topics discussed within my space at the end of the day. I will continue to pen down my thoughts as it has always been my pleasure to do so. Any feedback are warmly welcome and can be reached me through the contact form.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Yet another fulfilling day.

Mondays will always be a meaningful and fulfilling day for me - On every Monday night, I would volunteer at Tampines Blk 444 for Meet-The-People sessions.

I have found every session to be a fulfilling and meaningful one for me. With so much to learn and to know about what are the problems that some Singaporeans face, just makes me more aware of how blessed I am, also to be more contented of what I have. To add on, every Meet-The-People sessions has exposed me more to how the ground reacts to the government policies.

By meeting the residents on a weekly-basis ( If I've no school commitments ), hard truths of what Singaporeans are facing and going through are revealed. There are Singaporeans, whom are going through their hardest journey or stage in their lives, just really ached my heart. More often than not, I hope there is more I can do, to help them out in their predicament. But, what we, volunteers, can do is very limited but of course, we will definitely try our best and that is the purpose of why we are here - to help our residents.

Having been through a year of MPS, I look back at how we youths(including myself) always love to complain about how costly the transport fares, the number of foreigners in the country and how costly school fees are, makes me think that the suffering we are going through is nowhere comparable or near to what some Singaporeans are going through.

I come from a average-income family, and I understand how costly transport fares or school fees can be on not so well-off families. But on the upside, I believe it is fair to say that, most of us are at least capable of having two to three meals a day, that would keep us healthy and fit. Unlike some Singaporeans, who are here to seek the MP for help, are generally in a much worse predicament than us. Having two to three proper meals could even be a big problem to them. 

I want to express to all Singaporeans that, we should always remember to be contented with what we have. I know it is not easy to be contented. I, myself, as a youth, also find it difficult to stay contented all the times, but with the strong and sheer will power instilled in us, it is probable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment