My photo
23 years old. Pursuing Public Policy and Global Affairs in School Of Social Sciences at Nanyang Technological University. Thank you for the taking the time to visit and read some of my posts. I hope that you will be able to take away some insights and perspectives on various topics discussed within my space at the end of the day. I will continue to pen down my thoughts as it has always been my pleasure to do so. Any feedback are warmly welcome and can be reached me through the contact form.

Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Struggle Between Expectations and Settling Down For Less



Everyone is bound to have expectations, like the way things should go as expected. However, it is known that with expectations also comes with disappointments. Just because we have expected something to happen as we have planned, we also have to be reminded of the fact that nothing is perfect in this world. Only by recognising this consensus together, a much more cordial relationship could then be established in any kind of environment.

Don't get me wrong at this point of time, I am not asking you to resign to this consensus or fate. In fact, many people that I knew have placed in numerous efforts to address this natural hurdle to achieving their goals. I am not dissimilar, I acknowledged of the existing natural gap in life and have learnt to manage along with it. It can be a great countermeasure when things go the other way, and I can assure that you will definitely recover faster than some other people from these hiccups.

With that being said, does this mean that we can always readily settle down for something less than we expected? The answer to this is debatable. If you ask me, I would say a yes without hesitation. The reason is both simple and logical, we got to acknowledge that everyone's mindset including priorities or preferential standards are different. As long as the reality is not too far away from the set expectations, which is to say your efforts has managed to harvest 90% of the intended. That seems good enough often. Having said that, it is also not logical for you to settle down for less than what you deserve at times. That is, you got to ensure that there must be a threshold or minimum criteria to meet and nothing should fall short of it. From there, you will perhaps settle down for less rationally.

Let me draw an analogy within the education sector. Your teacher has gone through the entire year syllabus to ensure you all are ready for examinations. In return, she has expected all in the class to do well since it was according to what she has taught. To her dismay, only a few were able to meet her expectations. So, when you have expectations of things without acknowledging the fact that largely everyone's mindset and preferential standards are different from yours, you will find yourself emotionally affected. Since most people will want the best for the things that they are being tasked in, it is this struggle that people have to recognise and from there, you deal with it by mentally preparing yourself. Nonetheless, where things are not going your way, you just got to ensure that the bare requirements set by the school principal are at least met.

Hopefully, my two cents worth of thoughts have helped to developed new perspectives in your situations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment