My photo
23 years old. Pursuing Public Policy and Global Affairs in School Of Social Sciences at Nanyang Technological University. Thank you for the taking the time to visit and read some of my posts. I hope that you will be able to take away some insights and perspectives on various topics discussed within my space at the end of the day. I will continue to pen down my thoughts as it has always been my pleasure to do so. Any feedback are warmly welcome and can be reached me through the contact form.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Social Platforms

As much as the title speaks for itself most of the time, this post is probably not exactly what you would expect it to be. It's more of my own perspectives on how comments made on social platforms can really affect someone.

What exactly has sparked me to write up on this issue?

Today, I met a resident and he shared his unhappiness and views on the whole issue on cyber bullying. For privacy purposes, I will not disclose his name in here.

The entire happening took place on the Facebook platform. He claimed that he was assaulted verbally on Facebook, evidences have also been taken out to further sustain his claim. For many of us whom have encountered such situations may have rendered to resorts such as ignoring the nonsense that had been blabbered about you, or you may have retaliated furiously by arguing back, or taken appropriate actions where possible such as reporting the account, or reporting to the police. There are so many options available, however choosing any one of these options ultimately lies in one's preference. 

So after observing how sad and stressed the resident was after receiving such treatment through online, also to further point out that he is from the pioneer generation and did claim that he isn't a very active Facebook user, and thus, this is his first time experiencing such an event. One may say he is sensitive or he lacks the sense of humor, but let's not forget everyone is different from one another. Who is perfect to judge?  

So what is the main point I am trying to bring across? 

I want to bring across the point that everyone should stay aware of the possible consequences that your very own comments may bring about to others. Let's be a little kinder and considerate to one another, not passing off or exchanging nasty comments with one another. Most importantly, is to compromise with one another's difference - mindset, attitude or whatsoever. I believe this is definitely possible - considering the fact, we have attained racial harmony and embracing the differences in people to its best over the years. Now, let's bring this mindset and attitude to online together. 

With this, I believe the social platforms will be a nicer place for everyone.

(Context: Singapore)


No comments:

Post a Comment